New Engine

Post date: Jun 17, 2012 9:19:07 AM


5th April, the day before Good Friday. We finally started our beautiful new Yanmar 3JH5E engine after several months of hard and sometimes frustrating work.

The engine bay had been thoroughly cleaned and painted – it was so clean you could eat dinner down there. "Down there" is under the floor of the saloon. It looked lovely. Painted with Jotun 2 pack universal primer and then lighting was installed.

We removed the 2 x 80 litre water tanks that we had installed in Melbourne after crossing Bass Strait. Now that we have plentiful water in our 2 large built in 500ltr tanks we did not need these any more and, although we would have liked to keep them for rainwater, we needed the space they took up.. We relocated and secured the batteries to where the old water tanks were, installed hot water heater and re-wired the bilge pumps and other things “down there” that were all easier to get at without an engine in the way. It is much nicer working down there now. (well it looks like its nicer for Captain Greg)

When the engine arrived we used the same technical equipment to get it onto the dock as we used to remove the old dead Volvo - our friendly Indonesian workers who lived on the boat next to us - and a few friends. (see:Yanmar arrives)

We used the boom and chain block to lower it into its position in the engine bay. We could then, with accurate measurements, work out the best way to make engine beds and work out how the prop shaft was to attach, how and where to get and install the 3” exhaust system required by this Yanmar motor. . .

The engine bed brackets ended up being made from recycled stainless steel chainplates that were given to us by friends who had replaced them with new ones. Greg cut, welded and drilled them until they were just right to put under the motor so that it would line up with the old prop shaft. A short shaft was made by Mr Ko at his engineering works which made up the shortfall between the old shaft and the flexible coupling to the new motor. All this was done while the boat was sitting in the water at the marina at Danga Bay, in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

The challenge to find a water trap for the exhaust was a difficult one. So many people had so many ideas. Eventually Greg and our friend Dave (Starfire), an experienced man with fibreglass, made one – (see: How to make a water trap ). . It works perfectly well. We also had trouble finding a fittings for the 3” exhaust through the transom. But eventually friend Neil (Bluestone) found some stainless steel fittings in Singapore that did the job quite neatly.

The engine was lined up – a laborious task - and connected to the shaft. The fuel hose was fitted and engine electricals connected. The exhaust plumbed from the engine to the stern and the champagne was on ice. . . we were ready to fire it up for the first time.

It was an exciting and anxious moment when we first tried the key – the alarm sounded, the engine turned, it went for a few seconds and it sounded very nice . . .Then it stopped!. There was a problem with the fuel delivery. We finally got it sorted and the new engine was running. Now we could finally pop the champagne (our last bottle) and drink a toast to our new engine to wet the baby's head – celebrating the long awaited dream of "worryproof" motoring.

New Engine part 2

After the engine was in and running, it was time to take the boat out of the water and have a new prop shaft and propeller installed. The only problem was that there were 400 miles of water between Johor Bahru, where we installed the motor, and Penang's Penmarine at Batu Maung where there was someone we were confident in to do the work. Greg carefully nursed Lupari to Penang in company with our friends on Bluestone – where they too were coming out of the water.

Once out of the water there were many jobs to do.

This is the list:

    • 35mm diameter propshaft and 18x12 propeller machined & installed.
    • Here are the 2 props and shafts side by side. . .the new one is on the right
    • the hull was sanded, primed and antifouled
    • all skin fittings were removed, inspected and replaced
    • a piece of 1/2” plate was added to the length of the keel to help with steering stability.
    • This is the new extension to the keel
    • Replaced rusty toilet pan baseplate with stainless steel – welded and painted all around.
    • all toilet hoses removed, cleaned and refitted
    • anchor and chain galvanised
    • Trim 20% off the back of the rudder to reduce the turn rate.

After all this was done we were back in the water and everything was as it should be, Greg motored Lupari to the Tanjong City Marina, 5nm north of Penmarine, to await Sue's return from Perth. The people at the slipway were friendly, professional, hardworking and we were very happy with the results..

One of the workers at Penmarine